“If you’re passionate about policy making and share the values of the Department, then the Health Policy Fast Track Scheme promises to deliver a meaningful and rewarding career option.”
About the Department of Health and Social Care
The importance of the health and social care system is a reality for everyone who lives in the United Kingdom and almost all of us have direct experience, either personally or through friends and family. The Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) plays a vital role in leading the nation’s health and social care to help people live more independent and healthier lives for longer. Our policies are vital to the functioning of the country, and we want you to be a part of that through the Health Policy Fast Track Scheme (HPFTS).
Coming soon: DHSC will shortly be launching the next recruitment campaign for the September 2021 intake of the Health Policy Fast Track Scheme (HPFTS). Applications will open in October 2020. To register your interest, please email: [email protected] and we will let you know when we are open for applications.
On this three-year scheme you’ll develop an understanding of the political environment and gain hands-on experience of how health policy is developed and delivered by Government. Working with front-line services, think thanks, academia and stakeholder organisations you’ll build the skills needed to become a top-class policy professional and health care leader, developing and delivering high quality, evidence-based policies. You’ll develop a rewarding career that makes a real impact on people’s lives.
You’ll be based at the DHSC’s headquarters in either Leeds or London and will undertake several work placements over three years in either location. One placement will normally be in Private Office to give first-hand experience of working intensively with Ministers. Another will be with one of our Arm’s Length Bodies or in a health and care service.
The type of person we’re looking for
We believe the best policy professionals come from all walks of life. We are seeking people who have a real passion for improving the health and social care system. If you share our commitment to helping people live more independent, healthier lives for longer and have the determination and drive to tackle complex challenges head-on, we look forward to receiving your application.
Pay & Benefits
The DHSC Health Policy Fast Track Scheme has different pay and benefits to the NHS schemes. The benefits include:
– Competitive salary: You’ll receive a starting salary of £28,122 (National) and £31,837 (London) plus increases subject to satisfactory performance in line with our Departmental and Scheme pay awards
– General annual leave: You’ll receive 25 days holiday per year, up to a maximum of 30 days, plus 8 public holidays and one further day paid privilege entitlement to mark the Queen’s Birthday
– A fully financially supported study package towards a postgraduate qualification in Health Policy
– Extensive on-the-job training
– Financial discounts: You’ll have access to an exclusive website for DHSC staff that provides employee discounts
– Staff diversity networks that provide community and support and advocate for inclusivity
– Interest-free season ticket loan
– Rental deposit loans
– A generous Pension
– Fitness centres and staff canteens are available on some sites
– Flexible working patterns including part-time and access to Flexible Working Schemes
– Generous maternity and paternity leave
– Occupational sick pay
How to apply for the HPFTS
The DHSC Scheme is a Civil Service graduate scheme and not part of the NHS GMTS although we do work closely together. HPFTS is a Civil Service graduate scheme, though we do accept, and encourage, applications for eligible existing Civil Servants, with or without a degree.
To register your interest, please email [email protected] and we will let you know when we are open for applications.